Monday 12 September 2011

...CAMPAIGNING ABHI BAAKI HAI...!!


I had a class to attend an interview to appear and a form to submit. You can certainly guess how busy I was that early September morning. I dressed up for college and left my place at once hoping not to get late for the first lecture as Iusually am. But the way from my place to the college seemed like eternity. I could not help but notice the crowd on the street. And the next thing I remember was being flushed with hundreds of pamphlets highlighting the ballot number and names of the candidates up for the college elections this year!

Right from the Vishwavidyalaya Metro Station to the favourite hangouts in the college campus, the campaigning for DU’s "only" political event was on a high. Placards and posters were visibly all over the University Campus. Printed posters and stickers being banned this year, hand-made posters and pamphlets had taken the centre stage. To quote a student, "It’s maddening! All we can see around are poster and pamphlets." Each barricade that I crossed all I could hear was the accomplishments of prospect leader standing up for the elections this year. Seriously, I have had so much of them that I can practically retell that to you word-to-word. The election budget of Rs 5000 long trailing by, candidates left no stone unturned to woo the prospective voters. Students were eluded by freebies ranging from writing pads and pens to free food and free passes to amusement parks to shopping baskets. Some had even promised attendance to freshers who somehow believed in their promises.

Trending now are the socially active candidates. Major election parties came up with the idea of promoting their candidates online through their facebook and twitter accounts which were periodically updated. They had put up their party profiles and manifestos online and were asking for the support.

By the time I reached my class I was well half for my class but thanks to my lenient math teacher I was allowed in. But throughout the class I was still thinking about the pandemonium outside that I could hear, "Don’t be lazy, vote for...".



Image 1 By: Nirab Jyoti Bora

Image 2 Courtesy: Google





KNOW YOUR FRIEND FROM DU


Radhika Tandon is a student of B.Sc. Physical Science first year from SGTB Khalsa College. She loves to read and write about her surroundings. She is passionate about music and is a trained classical singer. She dislikes meeting new people but loves to hangout with her friends.